Due to popular demand – and overdue to post something – I’m sharing the rice salad that’s my usual contribution to family parties. It’s not original; I was trying to recreate the “hunter’s salad” offered by my grocer’s deli.
- Brown rice & wild rice blend (Rice Select royal blend fits the bill) – Just make sure you wash the rice before cooking!
- Green onions/scallions, cut to pieces
- Celery, cut to pieces and use the leaves if they’re fresh.
- Walnuts, chopped not milled (I prefer black walnuts for their strong taste)
- Dried cherries ( I used dried cranberries in imitation of the deli version, but we had great cherries this year – and the difference was fantastic!)
- Newman’s Own walnut-and-whatever dressing (The version I used originally was discontinued, so I get the next best thing.)
Please note there are no measurements. I start by cooking two cups of rice, then I eyeball everything else. I use a footed glass bowl/compote so I just add layers until it looks pretty.
I will warn you: Do NOT use the whole bottle of dressing. Try half, stir, and let it stand before taste-testing. It’s better to add in increments than drown the flavors.
Please let me know how it worked for you.